and there's my answer to " What could I be doing wrong / misunderstanding?"
*I didn't realize that analyze didn't consider heloBlacklistIgnore.*
I don't see that indicated in the gui.  Analyze says that it uses the
current db, hashes, and lists.  I, apparently incorrectly, thought that
"lists" would include the heloBlaklistIgnore list.

I'm sorry to once again have frustrated you with my questions.  if there's
a better way I could have asked what I did, or somewhere else I should be
asking, I'm all ears.