Von: K Post <nntp.p...@gmail.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2021 17:13
An: ASSP development mailing list <assp-test@lists.sourceforge.net>
Betreff: [Assp-test] Feature Reqiest: Customizing more of the 554 5.7.1 error
messages in rejections

Thomas,

First,  as requested, I've tried to change the way I generally ask for
features.  I hope this is better, helpful, and fully explains my reasoning.

Just like we can customize the spamError, DelayError, NoValidRecipient, and
other reasons that appear in rejection/delay messages to the sender, I believe
it would be valuable to have additional optional settings to customize
rejection messages in ASSP.  This would help legitimate senders who are
erroneously rejected reach out to their IT for the following reasons:

554 5.7.1 Extreme Bad IP Profile

554 5.7.1 too many different IP's for domain (domain)

554 5.7.1 too frequent connections for (ip)

554 5.7.1 too frequent connections for originated IP-address (ip)

554 5.7.1 too many mails with same subject

there's also 521 transmission terminated, but I've never encountered that.

My top priority is the Extreme Bad IP Profile message.  Here's why:

We've seen several schools that our charity work with get IP blocked by ASSP
recently, and rightfully so.  But there's legitimate senders too using the same
IP space. That then gets our charity calls from the students asking what
Extreme Bad IP Profile is (to which our well intentioned but non-technical
volunteers obviously have no idea).

Having a message like:

554 5.7.1 Your message was rejected due to your server's reputation.  Please
work with your local email administrator to resolve this issue.  [Mail
administrator: Your sender IP is on our blocklist due to previously observed
bad activity.]

would be more clear to the sender, and they'd know to get their IT involved.
If their IT calls us, so be it.

Even better would be to put the IP address and sender domain into the already
variable message, but that's probably more coding work than it's worth.

I tried my hand at editing ASSP code (breaking the code signature) on a test
server to make it so that we can optionally customize the error messages
returned for some of the rejected mails.  Something's not right with the way
the GUI prompts for the info, but I think my concept is solid, there should be
no sweat for a perl pro to modify the code, and I believe it would be a widely
valuable change.  If you'll only consider this request if I first get it
working, I will press along, but I feel like you'll hate my sloppy code and
will need to rework it anyway.

To accomplish what I'm asking for, I believe ASSP would need to be modified to
have optional configuration entries in the GUI for each of the above 554 error
scenarios.

Then everywhere that there are lines like

seterror( $fh, "554 5.7.1 Extreme Bad IP Profile", 1 );

(which is only 7 554 locations that aren't customizable already)

We'd need something like the logic that is already used for delayed messages:

if ($DelayError) {

            $reply = $DelayError."\r\n";

        } else {

            $reply = "451 4.7.1 Please try again later\r\n";

        }

so something like

if ($ExtremeBadIPProfileErrorMessage) {
            $reply = $ExtremeBadIPProfileErrorMessage ."\r\n";
        } else {
            $reply = "451 4.7.1 Extreme Bad IP Profile \r\n";
        }

Do you think that's a good idea, would it be reasonable to enhance the code to
accomplish this?  This wouldn't impact the globalPB right?

and as importantly, are you happier with the way that I asked this question?

Thanks

Ken