Hi folks,

Posting over here rather than the dev list for once with what is probably
one of the more basic things about ASSP.
When HMM and Bayes have been discussed in the past, people seem to find it
very reliable with few false positives. Unfortunately for me, I have never
been able to replicate this.

As a result we have HMM set to score 49 and the threshhold at 50 so it
needs HMM plus something else to push it over. We regularly get a few
messages slipping through that HMM would have blocked, but I can't turn on
blocking because there would be too many false positives.

I ask everyone using the service to report messages using the email
interface and release things that have been picked up accidentally but not
everyone does. I can't force this by turning on blocking because everyone
will just ditch us for something else.

To give you an idea I have 157 messages that have been saved to the
discarded folder today with "[spam found] and possibly passing because
messagescore(49) low". About 50% of these seem to be legitimate messages.
The remainder are legitimate mailing lists though some are questionable as
to whether the user would have added themselves.

I started going through the discard folder moving these into errors/notspam
and putting any spam into the spam corpus in the hope that it would train
better, but there are many other messages in the discard folder. I got it
down to 13,200 yesterday but now it is at 14,910.

I don't think there is a way to have these possibly passing messages save
somewhere else so I can review just those - unless someone can correct me?

Settings are:
DoBayesian: Score
DoHMM: Score
BayesAfterHMM: 0.5-0.5

None of the other related settings seem to be changed from defaults except
AddSpamProbHeader and AddConfidenceHeader are enabled.

So how have other people got their databases to be accurate?
All the best,
Colin.