On 29 August 2012 15:00, Glenn Fowler <g...@research.att.com> wrote:

> grep is available for testing via .paths

We need a single ksh binary with grep builtin. If we deploy multiple
files with .paths then we have to convince at least 11 groups at our
site that this makes sense, doesn't affect them and is worth to put
this on the agenda of lots of meetings. Not to mention the yapping
about using perl instead.

> so it depends how bitter grep problems are vs trying .paths

You're kidding, are you? Try to process Unicode characters with
/usr/bin/grep in Solaris. Please try it yourself.

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:03:15 +0200 Lionel Cons wrote:
>> On 27 August 2012 22:22, Glenn Fowler <g...@research.att.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I took a quick look and iconv(1) does look like a good candidate for -lcmd
>> > it would just need an sh signal check in the inner file loop
>
>> What about grep? I still think this would be a great idea; I say that
>> out of bitter experience with yet another run-in with AIX and Solaris
>> grep.

>> Lionel

Lionel