> At the end of the day, if you are going to run Asterisk, and you
> don't know how to secure your box from being used to run up thousands of
> dollars in connection fees, then you get an expensive lesson and maybe get
> fired.

Amen. It helps to cull the market of totally incompetent "wannabe" Telco
admins that are looking for a quick buck w/out having the requisite
knowledge to implement a properly engineered solution. If you install an
Asterisk server and do not properly secure it from outside attacks, then you
get what you deserve.

This is what a free market is all about! ;)

> While I might agree that it would be handy to have a brute force
> blocking built into Asterisk, the market has already produced such a piece
of
> software -- go install it and stop pointing a finger that Asterisk or
> Digium is to fault for your misconfiguration of their software which
> caused you a financial loss.

The only comment that I have related to this is that it would be nice to
allow Switchvox customers the ability to access and use IPtables in some
fashion, so that IP based blocking could be done on that platform. Even if
it is something as simple as an "allow connections from x.x.x.x to SIP and
IAX" list w/ a default "deny all" strategy.