I don't think that the flashphone / java / active-x / npapi will take up a lot of resources, it won't be more than their desktop equivalents. I mean that the web browser will sometimes hang on flash banners (my firefox doesnt like techcrunch for example) or opening of pdfs that download too slowly
.
Google chrome might be different, not sure.

We have a webbased phone, (active-x and npapi is available at the moment, flash and java will follow).

I prefer a webbased phone only in these cases:
- The user needs it occasionally to contact the company through the website without having to configure a phone first. - The user is working in a webbased environment, but does not do a lot of regular websurfing. (most callcenter users have heavy restrictions on what they can visit), a webbased phone that can be controlled through an api makes the integration a lot easier.

Zoa