On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

Yesterday and this morning we experienced a serious bug in the echo
cancellation.

While trying to tweak out some echo on a new asterisk install we set
echocancel=256. From then on, calls would usually start out ok (but
still with some echo) then there would be what users describe as a
'click' followed by a huge blast of echo making the call impossible to
continue.

At that point it seems as though the echo is actually being inserted
into the call rather than removed.

asterisk-1.2.10
libpri-1.2.3
zaptel-1.2.7 with default ECHO_CAN_KB1

Card is a Sangoma A101 using wanpipe-beta7-2.3.4.tgz .

Just wanted to run it by the list before entering a bug report to make
sure its appropriate and that this isn't actually a wanpipe bug.

Is there any other sort of other debugging or analysis that would be
helpful?

As previously suggested, make sure you are running the most current version of the echo canceler (MG2 in trunk right now) before you file any sort of bug report. It is unlikely that you will find anybody that wants to fix bugs in old code.

1.2.10 is less than three weeks old, trunk is not ready for production, and 1.4 probably won't be out before next year, so perhaps 'old' bugs should be fixed anyway?

It's more like this: there are only a handful (if that) of people that actually have the technical know-how to even work on this type of code, and most of them are not working consistently on it. They only work on it when they have a need to. So even though you submit a bug on mantis about it, the person that actually might be able to fix it is very unlikely to actually see it. And like I said, nobody likes to fix bugs that potentially already have been fixed in a current version. We don't usually like to change something as major as the default echo canceler in a release branch anyways, there are too many people that depend on the existing performance nuances of the code that is there.

Matthew Fredrickson