On 7/24/2023 8:27 AM, George Joseph wrote:

    Only one at the time... I just found an extra period in
    Makefile..inc in
    the latest README, but haven't noticed anything else.

Not seeing it.  Probably fixed already.

It's at the very bottom of the README:
If you're always going to build just 1 branch's dynamic documentation, you can skip the Makefile..inc file and just place everything in the main Makefile.inc:

The first Makefile..inc has an extra period.... world's least important typo.

    > Makefile.inc:
    > ASTERISK_XML_FILE := <path>/core-en_US.xml
    > SKIP_ARI := yes
    > BRANCHES := 20

    Got it - this makes a lot more sense now! And yes, you read my
    mind, I
    don't care about ARI so that did the trick. I noticed the no-mike
    branch
    no longer exists, but looks like it was merged into main now, so I
    gave
    that a go and it got much further (sorry, I know it's been a while
    and I
    wasn't able to test this quickly).

    Couldn't have asked for an easier process! It seems like I can just
    clone the repo, copy my Makefile.inc in there, and run make. The
    above
    was on a relatively fast CPU, but it seems it shouldn't take
    longer than
    maybe 2 minutes.

The result is a 1.6 GB directory,

Eh what?  When I build everything, temp/site is only 574M.  Maybe need to clean everything out or is your own stuff just that big?

No, I probably screwed it up somehow; "make clean" didn't remove any of the generated files, but it didn't give me a target error so I just assumed that would do what it needed to do. This time I explicitly did an rm -rf temp/site beforehand to ensure it would be clean.

     From what I tried initially, I should be able to solve this by
    deleting
    everything in the docs directory except index.md and the favicon,
    which
    ensures that there simply is no static content to build. That should
    bring down both the size and the build time. I don't mind doing
    that at
    all, just wondering is there a good way to not build the static
    content,
    or would that be the best way?

Do a git pull :)
You should now be able to do...
"make BRANCH=master NO_STATIC=yes"

You can add NO_STATIC=yes to your makefile.inc instead.
Thanks George! This looks much more promising:

root@debian11:/usr/src/documentation# rm -rf temp/site/
root@debian11:/usr/src/documentation# make BRANCH=20
Creating ./temp/build-20
Setting Up Core Dynamic Documentation for branch '20'
  Generating markdown from Asterisk XML
Building to ./temp/site
INFO     -  Cleaning site directory
INFO     -  Building documentation to directory: /usr/src/documentation/temp/site
INFO     -  Documentation built in 15.67 seconds

Now it's only 230 MB in total. The site builds quickly and it's exactly what I was looking for when I opened it up - perfect!

Circling back to one other thing now that this seems good to go, what exactly did you change for reducing the file sizes / is that included in the current iteration, without mike? I'm still seeing a lot of extraneous whitespace in the pages. 244 KB per page isn't huge, but just at a cursory glance, I think we could probably cut the size 10-20% just by getting rid of the whitespace. In some places, there are just hundreds of newlines in a row for no reason. If this is just what the tool generates, I understand that, we don't have any control over that, just wanted to know. We could remove it all pretty easily with sed probably, and think could be a final "post processing" step in the Makefile, run recursively on all files. What do you think?