Here’s a hint…

Upgrade back to 5.1.  It still has bugs, but they’re no worse than 5.0…

Put it in the same subnet as the asterisk server, and make sure that the eth0 interface (the FIRST interface in the box) is on that subnet.  Generally, you will want this to be your internal address space.  192.168.0.x  If you asterisk server needs an external IP on the same Ethernet, just do an alias as eth0:1 or something along those lines.  Make the primary hostname of the server (as reflected by the hostname command) match up in /etc/hosts as the internal IP address.

Asterisk apparently picks up the first IP address on the system to use as its source IP address for all things SIP…  If you have a Cisco phone communicate with Asterisk on another subnet known to the system (via an IP alias on the same Ethernet card), I’ve found that the Cisco 7960 will crash and burn.  I suspect that if Asterisk were modified to source the communications back over the interface it received them, the crash would no longer happen.

Check your configuration files… I’ve had these phones crash on me before if your networking isn’t very friendly to them, but never before just during the booting sequence…  Trust me; you can get this phone to work… It’s just a matter of patience and experimenting, and lots of free time wasted on Ethereal… J

As an aside, I’ve actually been actively working with a Cisco developer (even today) to generate more debug information for them on the network caused crash and reboot issue, and they think they’ve about got it licked…  I believe they will be sending me a firmware image to test soon that will have at least that bug, and probably more, fixed.

Matt Hardeman

PaperSoft