On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Scott Lambert wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 12:13:07PM -0500, Dave Weis wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Mike Ciholas wrote:
> > > I am facing a move in two months to newly renovated space.  I
> > > have to decide *this week* between:
> > > A) Pull LAN and phone cables, prepare to move and expand our
> > > "traditional" PBX (Panasonic KX-TD1232 and VPS200).
> > > or
> > > B) Pull only LAN cables, go VoIP, use Asterisk as PBX.
> >
> > Hedge your bets, pull two cables, and try asterisk.
>
> I always run an all Cat5 network for voice and data.  I usually try to
> pull twice as many strands of Cat5 to a location as I expect to have
> devices plugged in.
> That way, you can just patch your voice or data circuits to anywhere.
> Moving an extension is just a patch cable change and move the phone to
> the new jack.  In the companies I have worked with, the only constant in
> layout of users was the state of flux.
> RJ11 plugs work in RJ45 jacks most of the time.  If you have
> instability, crimp an RJ45 on you phone cord.

If I am severly overwiring I terminate everything on 110 blocks and use
these:
http://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/products/Factory-Terminated_S110_Patch_Cords.asp
for my data jacks. They are about $10 each or so and give you huge amounts
of flexibility. You can still use cross connect cable for normal voice
circuits if necessary.

dave

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent