Have your worked with any other PBX system? Learning Asterisk is extremely
product-centric.

Maybe. But it's out there, it's free. Plus the wiki has lots of available documentation (including non asterisk stuff) and a great community.

And actually, I'm not interested in the PBX functionality so much. More the VoIP side of it.

Knowing how to create a dialplan in Asterisk does not
necessarily translate into how you create a dialplan on Call Manager or 3Com
NBX, or TalkSwitch, or Panasonic, or Toshiba, or Mitel, or anything else.
Adding a phone and extension is different on each system, etc etc etc.
How does that make it starting with other kit a better option?

The advantage of Asterisk is that you can pull obsolete hardware out of your
junkyard and get a system up and running and begin learning general
telephony and voip methods and terms.

Exactly.

I'm not sure why you feel editing
config files manually helps your learn faster than using an interface such
as AMP. I totally disagree with that, if you don't have to learn all of the
syntax all up front and you have an easy means of doing 100% of your
configuration through an interface, you will learn how to setup and manage a
system much faster.
Maybe. There are pros and cons to this. Mostly, you trade flexibility for convenience since when you write GUIs you have to make assumptions about the users. GUIs which try to cover all that you might want to think of end up being so cluttered that they become harder to use than the command line... I've found Asterisk syntax + AGI scripting to be giving all the flexibility I need.