Greg Oliver wrote:

> I am assuming you have made sure the dist is up to date with patches.
> We do not use 729, so I cannot try it out for you, but we do use CentOS.
> Is it only w/ SVN, or all releases of *?

The problem does not appear to be happening in Asterisk itself, but in
the G.729 codec module. The symptom is a failure of a floating-point
expression to produce the proper result, leading to a segfault when the
code tries to access a non-existent array member.

We tried building the codec without any optimization at all, and still
experienced the same issue. This points to some sort of 'core' problem
on the system, but as Greg said, hardware has been ruled out. That
leaves basically the kernel and the C library's floating point stuff, I
believe... but switching kernels did not help (although they were all
very similar kernels).