Maybe a silly question but can you ping sip.voipbuster.com from your asterisk box?

Second question and probably the answer, what is your dial statement in extensions.conf? Contact:<sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] EXTERN IP]>

One way to test is to create a dial statement like this exten = _.,1,Dial(SIP/username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/15555555555)

The s in the above is suspect. Turn on SIP debugging in the asterisk console, make a call and see whats up.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro

Remko Muis wrote:
Hi,

I am new here on this list, and have a problem of which I hope that somebody here can help me with it. I have a Voipbuster account, with which I would like to make phone calls via my Asterisk PBX. If I let X-Lite register directly at voipbuster.com, everything is OK, but if I let Asterisk register there, it says "registration for [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> timed out, trying again", even though all settings are precisely as in X-Lite (username, password, and sip-proxy settings). Also I am sure the right ports are forwarded or open, both in my router and in iptables (firewall of Asterisk server). The log files of X-Lite and the output of "sip debug" show no differences, except this one: Contact: Remko <sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] IP OF X-LITE-PC]:5060> in the log of X-lite and the following line in sip debug: Contact:<sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED] EXTERN IP]> I don't know whether this is a significant difference.
For further info, here is my sip.conf:
bindport=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
externip=EXTERNIP
localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
srvlookup=yes
maxexpirey=180 ; Maximum length of incoming registration we allow
defaultexpirey=160 ; Default length of incoming/outgoing registration
language=nl

;register to the voipbuster service
register => XXXXXX:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

;Add an extension for our softphone
;Copy this and change 1234 into 1235 for a second softphone (etc)
[1234]
type=friend
username=1234
secret=ZZZZZZ ; this is the .password. Change this !!
callerid=Remko
notransfer=yes
insecure=very
host=dynamic
;canreinvite=no
context=default

[1235]
type=friend
username=1235
secret=ZZZZZZ; this is the .password. Change this !!
callerid=Remko
notransfer=yes
insecure=very
host=dynamic
;canreinvite=no
context=default

;Configure the incoming calls connection
[voipbuster-in]
type=user
host=sip.voipbuster.com
secret=YYYYYY
realm=voipbuster.com
fromuser=XXXXXX
fromdomain=sip.voipbuster.com
context=incoming
canreinvite=no
insecure=very
qualify=no
nat=yes
dtmfmode=inband
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
call-limit=5

;Configure the outgoing calls connection
[voipbuster-out]
type=peer
host=sip.voipbuster.com
username=XXXXXX
fromuser=XXXXXX
fromdomain=sip.voipbuster.com
secret=YYYYYY
realm=voipbuster.com
call-limit=5
dtmfmode=inband
context=default
insecure=very
qualify=no
nat=yes
canreinvite=no
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw
I am completely at a loss, hope somebody can help me here!

Yours sincerely,
Remko
ers