Depending on the format of your audio file, you could generate a one-second sample of audio and then something like the following
#!/bin/bash
NUM=$1
CUR=0

rm -f bigtonefile;

[ $CUR != $NUM ] && {
        cat tonefile >> bigtonefile;
        CUR = $CUR+1;
}
System(generator 7)
Then Playback(bigtonefile) ; for seven seconds of audio

You could use half-second tones or less if you wanted finer granularity.

Just a suggestion, think outside the box, they say :)

Earle Clubb wrote:
Bill Gibbs wrote:
Why not just merge the file together a few times using an audio program
and make a longer file?

Bill