I'm not too sure on that.  I don't really know, unless maybe for an IVR and you want a menu of options (which can only be 1 digit) and also dial direct to the extension.  That would limit you in that regard.

I have a suggestion regarding dial plan.  When I first started I saw no reason to have to dial 9 first for outside calls.  Because I wanted to be able to dial out from the missed calls list, I chose to eliminate the dial 9 requirement.  I'm now regretting it, primarily because 711 is a valid number, but also a parking spot.  I can handle 911, and I can handle 411, but 711 is going to be a pain.

Just wanted to give you something to consider when you are starting out.  Something I didn't consider.

On 9/29/06, Norbert Zawodsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
And Hi again,

I wrote:
> I think I can remember something from the "Asterisk-TFOT" book saying
> that one must not use 1-digit extension numbers. But I can't remember
> that very well and can't find it in the book any more....

I found it! On page 90 the book says:

<quote>
... (Well, almost. Extensions must be shorter than 80 characters long,
and you shouldn't use single-character extensions for your own
use, as they're reserved.) ...
</quote>

O.k. - This answers my first question ("if there is disadvantage if we
use only 1 digit extensions").
But what for are single-character extensions "reserved" ?

Thanks,
Norbert

Lacy Moore
I'm the guy that doesn't give a damn about anyone's problems but my own...