On 9/30/06, Tim Panton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just to amplify this point. I've tried to claim on an SLA. Our
internet connection was down for a week due to a fire in
BT's exchange. My provider  refused to do
anything (despite the premium SLA) on the basis that
fires weren't covered. I switched providers to a cheaper one
who didn't pretend to offer uptime :-)

While an SLA is nice on paper, if your connection is business/mission-critical, always always always do redundancy yourself. Just having two connections from seperate providers is nice, multi-homing with two providers and having automatic failover is better (although this mostly applies to larger shops where having the phones/internet out per minute costs thousands of dollars/euros/etc.).

-brandon