On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 11:14:08AM -0500, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
>    On 9/30/06, Tim Panton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>      Just to amplify this point. I've tried to claim on an SLA. Our
>      internet connection was down for a week due to a fire in
>      BT's exchange. My provider  refused to do
>      anything (despite the premium SLA) on the basis that
>      fires weren't covered. I switched providers to a cheaper one
>      who didn't pretend to offer uptime :-)
>
>    While an SLA is nice on paper, if your connection is
>    business/mission-critical, always always always do redundancy
>    yourself. Just having two connections from seperate providers
>    is nice, multi-homing with two providers and having automatic
>    failover is better (although this mostly applies to larger shops
>    where having the phones/internet out per minute costs thousands of
>    dollars/euros/etc.).

But see also my earlier comments about the practical impossibility of
guaranteeing physical route diversity for multiple services in the same
format (copper, fiber), even if from different putative carriers.

This is *really* hard to make work; even the carriers themselves will
often *tell* you that you have PRD, and then you'll get backhoe faded
on all circuits anyway.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
          they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_