On Thursday 04 January 2007 18:01, Forrest Beck wrote:
> I was just wondering what you all are doing for music on hold files
> for best quality.  I am not much of an expert on sound rates, bits,
> stereo, mono, tracks, and all that jazz.  Currently I am taking music
> from a CD (our campus jazz band has recorded a CD), converting to WAV,
> using Audacity to convert the stereo tracks into mono, drop the gain
> to -15db, then I use sox to convert to GSM and 8 bit (by typing #>
> /usr/bin/sox file1.wav -r 8000 -c1 file2.gsm resample -ql )
>
> The audio while on hold is OK.  I wonder if there is a way to get
> better audio.  I noticed that asteriskguru.com has a audio conversion
> on their website.

Since telephones are so lo-fi, is there any reason to invest a lot of energy
in hi-fi hold music? .wav is uncompressed and lossless, so it should sound
better than .gsm which is a lossy format. But I doubt anyone can really tell
the difference on a telephone. anyway, how long are you leaving your callers
on hold? :)
--
Carla Schroder