I'm greatly surprised when testing an Asterisk box with 802.11g. Here's the topology:

VoIP caller --- 802.11g --- Asterisk --- 802.11g --- VoIP extension

                                    FXO ___ PSTN extension

When I call a VoIP extension on that box (from a VoIP extension), voice is good. But when this box tries to bridge the call with a PSTN extension, voice is completely broken. And it's not because of the cheap X100P - when I ping the box, round trip is >4,000 ms, most of the time causing timeout. Once the call hangs up, ping time dropped to 1-2 ms. Ping time started to surge even when FXO is simply ringing.

If VoIP to VoIP extension call uses re-invite (which it did), voice is also good in the Console channel.

How can voice traffic stall 802.11g? (I haven't checked, but CODEC is likely ulaw.)

Yuan Liu