At 02:34 PM 12/4/2003, you wrote:
However, considering the traffic volumes that you are talking about, is it
really true to say that the traditional telco cards are astronomically
priced, given the amount of revenue that can be generated per month on a
DS3?

Eight quad-span T-1 cards from Digium: $8,970 Three reasonable-quality asterisk servers: $1,000 One T-1/DS-3 MUX: $5000

Total system cost: $14,970

That actually sounds quite reasonable to me. However, if I were doing this myself I would look hard at getting a MAX TNT with VoIP capability off eBay. The price would be equivalent or less, the interface would be more complicated, but all the DSP would be done by the MAX.

--Ernest