On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 06:37:21PM -0300, Aldo D. Sudak wrote:
> Greetings to all list members!
>
> My name is Aldo Sudak and I am an Asterisk newbie. I am writing now because I
> have not
> been able to find any mention to the issues described below, neither in this
> list nor in the wiki.
>
> I am performing preliminary tests with Asterisk 1.4.11 and Zaptel 1.4.5.1 on
> Fedora Core 6.
> Installation of all of the Asterisk packages was straightforward and I always
> obtained success
> messages. Following Asterisk and Zaptel installation I ran the corresponding
> make config
> commands in order to have both Asterisk and Zaptel running at startup. With
> Zaptel, however,
> two issues arose:
>
> 1) zaptel.conf in the /etc/ directory had not been created. The GUI loaded
> itself a very rudimentary
> zaptel.conf file which lacked loadzone and defaultzone definitions, so I
> prefered to manually copy
> and paste zaptel.conf.sample from the sources and rename it.

use zapconf or genzaptelconf to generate one that actually works.
Both are included with Zaptel and installed by default (genzaptelconf is
being phased out).

> 2) Zaptel modules loaded during bootup but were not automatically configured,
> and so I had to
> manually run ztcfg and afterwards restart Asterisk each time I started the
> computer. I discovered
> that there did not exist a 'zaptel' file in the /etc/modprobe.c/ directory,
> so I made an experiment
> by installing Zaptel 1.4.4, which generated the file, and then re-installing
> Zaptel 1.4.5.1. The
> experience was successful and now Zaptel 1.4.5.1 is loaded and configured
> during bootup.

  /etc/init.d/zaptel start

is required to properly start zaptel. It will also run ztcfg. Otherwise
users run into issues where misconfigured zaptel.conf fails loading of a
module. That is a buggy behaviour.

If your card is an analog one, take a look at http://bugs.digium.com/7613
and tell me what you think.

Something similar for digital spans would require more information in
sysfs.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]