Jason,

 I think there is a bit of terminology confusion here,
 you can easily convert from format to another using
 sox, so if your * server is going to record and email
 you a voicemail file, it can surely  "sox"  the file to whatever
 format the iphone needs it in and then send the email.

 It does not appear that the iPhone is using a proprietary
 format so just try the default recording format and see
 what happens.

 -baji.

 ps : I don't have an iPhone, nor have I used * voicemail yet
        "caveat emptor" :-)