Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:00:01AM +1000, Rob Hillis wrote:
Brent Davidson wrote:
We're currently using Asterisk 1.4.19, Zaptel 1.4.10, Oslec SVN, Rhino R4FXO-EC cards, and Snom 300 Phones.
Why on earth are you running two layers of echo cancellation - hardware and software? To be honest, I think this is asking for trouble - I've seen two occasions where having Oslec and hardware echo cancellation has caused significant problems with audio quality - the usual symptoms are gaps in the conversation as the hardware cancellation eliminates the majority of the echo and the software cancellation subsequently eliminates parts of the conversation.

If you use a hardware EC (or technically: a span-specific echo
cancellation method) the generic Zaptel echo canceller (software-based,
OSLEC in this case) will not be used.

Is there any indication of this in Zaptel? This is the output of my ztcfg -vv:

Zaptel Version: 1.4.10
Echo Canceller: Oslec
Configuration

Channel map:

Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)

2 channels to configure.

I removed Oslec when I first installed the R4FXO-EC cards, but echo was terrible and made the calls unusable. My gut instinct is telling me that my hardware echo cancellation is not working.

Thanks,
Brent