Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
Hi!

I am actually interested in the topic of this post. Ast 1.6 vs 1.4. We
are using asterisk 1.4.2 for a SIP only based configuration. [...] We
are planning to accomodate about 5,000 users on this server.

Many people on this list will advise you to use a SIP proxy like OpenSER in front of Asterisk to take care of SIP registrations - I'll do the same. ;->

I've seen comments similar to this going around a lot and I've never really understood it. I guess maybe I won't understand it until I am in a situation where I need to handle a huge call volume and hundreds or thousands of users (I.E. probably never). In my situation, using Asterisk as a distributed PBX with Snom SIP phones I haven't had any problems at all with the asterisk end of the system. All of my problems, and I have to stress they are MINOR problems have been related to interfacing to the analog PSTN. I have not not meshed all of the branch offices together yet, so I may run into further issues there, but all of the inter-office calling will be handled by IAX trunking. I really like these Snom 300 phones as far as audio quality goes. I wish they had a few more programmable buttons but that was a purchasing oversight. We underestimated the number of programmable buttons we would need and opted for the 300 instead of the 360. I also wished they used IAX. It's fairly obvious during the software update process thatthey run either a Linux or BSD derivative so it shouldn't be too difficult to develop an IAX firmware for them, even if it has to be done by a third party. I wonder why more vendors haven't adopted IAX yet?

-Brent