At 9:34 AM -0400 2008/8/4, Dean Collins wrote:

This email is off topic. If it offends you then suck it J

But seriously, I know this will interest USA readers (unfortunately for now primarily on the west coast only). How cool is this concept <http://techshop.ws/index.html>http://techshop.ws/index.html

Cheers,
Dean

[snip]

So, I'll take a bit off-topic and then go on-topic:

I am a big fan of TechShop (I worked in the Bay Area before coming to work for Digium) and in fact I arranged this video interview there one or two months ago:

  http://tv.boingboing.net/2008/05/01/techshop-a-community.html

Lots of great stuff going on there, and they're opening in a number of different cities "real soon now." It's the cheapest thing going, relatively speaking, and the community of people using the facility is very much an "open-source" environment.

I tried talking them (management) into going with Asterisk as their PBX, but Jim wanted to completely outsource those functions to local DSL providers (which, based on probability and luck, are probably Asterisk anyway.)

This is a great place for people to get involved in making physical hardware that interacts with web and voice interfaces. When the Portland OR TechShop opens, I'll probably do a session on "voice control of your robot" or a similar topic since Asterisk is very accessible to people building stuff that responds to external stimuli. Asterisk plus the Lumenvox speech recognition platform (or even just DTMF) is a quick and dirty way to get audio control into a robotic platform that has multiple "channels" of listening for commands. Asterisk is being used more as an application framework in that case, but it's simple and there are lots of people pre-building the methods and documents on how it's done (see Dave Troy's DTMF-controlled Roomba or the oft-cited botanicalls.com site.)

JT

John Todd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +1-256-428-6083
Asterisk Open Source Community Director