Ira wrote:
> At 12:44 PM 12/2/2008, you wrote:
>
>> At 04:03 12/2/2008, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>  >Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>  >
>>  >> "Net Neutrality" is great in principle.  But ISP's need to
>>  >> somehow control those few percentage of users who suck down
>>  >> a huge majority of the bandwidth.  It's dollars and cents.
>>  >
>>  >Yes, just like the airlines need to somehow control those users who
>>  >keep showing up to the flight they booked, every single time! It's
>>  >impossible to do overbooking with customers like that, so we need to
>>  >find ways of punishing them.
>>
>> What happens if everyone who owns a car drives
>> it at the same time?  Owns a telephone and
>> uses it at the same time?
>>

> If I could get the same plan for my internet as I get for my phones,
> a few dollars a month plus a bit per minute(megabyte), I'd be all
> over it, but even better, then the provider wouldn't have to care as
> they'd be making a fair profit no matter what the user did.

You make that sound almost reasonable. I'm sure initial pricing would
only be slightly higher for the majority of customers with only the
"bad" users being "punished".

Six months later, when all the fuss has died down, the price goes up by,
say, 0.5c/MB. That's not much is it? Half a penny? After all, they used
to raise it by $2/month and customers only grumbled a bit before paying.
So 0.5c isn't much, is it?

...and BTW, I'm not a p2p or torrent user but I do enjoy having
bandwidth available when the latest Fedora or Ubuntu comes out.

regards,

Drew