5 maj 2011 kl. 18.30 skrev Ira:

> At 07:56 AM 5/5/2011, you wrote:
>> So how can we fix this?  How can we get more people involded?  What makes
>> projects like FedoraTesting[3] and DebianTesting[4] popular?  How can the
>> Asterisk project reproduce their success?
>
> Well, it's not a lot of people willing to run beta software on their phone
> system. Phones need to work and for most people they need to work perfectly
> all the time. I'm one of those oddities that will always run beta software if
> given the chance but my experience is that quite rare.
>
>> As I've said before, I'm more then willing to help with answering questions
>> about the testsuite or reviewing code that people want to get merged in.  We
>> also have an IRC channel, #asterisk-testing available for people to join,
>> ask question, idle, lurk, etc, or if you want to reply to this thread, feel
>> free.  But get involved! :)
>
> So I'm the person who has never been able to keep 1.8 alive on my system for
> more than a minute or two and I've probably tried more than 10 different
> betas and release versions. I posted a bug report which was closed in
> minutes, I posted the problem on this list every few tries and zero response.
> I tried to figure out mIRC. It's installed on my machine but I've never got
> past that. I just don't get the instructions.
>
> I know that all the people involved in the project are Linux heads, but some
> of us, like me, have a Linux box only because of Asterisk and if you want my
> help, you need to make being involved accessible and stop assuming we all
> know what you know. I see the words, "jut post a bug report on Mantis" posted
> all the time and I'm sure it means as little to others as it means to me.
> Maybe there needs to be a web page somewhere, "Asterisk beta testing for
> dummies" so that you can point us to so you don't have to answer the stupid
> questions over and over.
>
> I've beta tested enough and had enough beta testers to understand the kinds
> of things that make it possible to get bugs fixed, but it's usually a very
> small percentage of users that understand that.

Thanks for the feedback, Ira. It makes me very sad to hear what you say and I
hope that we can get more resources from the community to assist in the process
to make it more friendly. We want to get those bug reports. The one thing I
hate to hear when I'm travelling at conferences is that "oh, I known that bug
for a long time but did not bother to report it."

Apologies for your experience with the bug process.

Regards,
/Olle