Il 04/11/2011 9.32, Olivier ha scritto:
I don't know how Telcos manage their networks.
I would have naturally thought that going from one point to another in
this network would always pass through the same set of equipements.

It was ... about 30 (or more) years ago, today most moved from switched network to packet network.

Maybe it's not the case and specifically when the end destination is a
cellphone and there is a large gateway between the landline and the
mobile networks.

I think most is carried on ss7(*) over ip, passing through a wide range of equipments from many manufacturers. Each of these could have it's own bugs or inaccurate configuration.

Is this reasonning correct ?

I think it is, you are facing some internetwork problem out of your control.

Anyway you're lucky, changing the caller presentation number to anything that not belongs to the subscriber circuit would be simply impossible here due to regulations.

(*) - http://www.ss7-training.net/index.html