John Fraizer wrote:

Your telco really can't *prevent* you from doing PS/ALI. They don't have to make it easy though. Even with PS/ALI, the same database is updated. It's just you doing the update vs the telco doing it. Doing things the "Right Way" TM isn't always easy but, in the end, it is going to be the best. Getting set up to do PS/ALI isn't free either but, when you can tell your customers that they will have E911 service vs simple 911 -> non-emergency number mapping, it gives you a sales advantage. If your telco doesn't want to (1) Update the ALI records as you request or (2) Provide you with a PS/ALI mechanism, I suggest that you get your public utilities commission involved in the loop.

I must have misspoke, or you misunderstood... my telco is happy to help me get set up for PS/ALI. In fact, that's the only method they've offered for me to be able to do E911 from my VOIP termination service (which is not yet installed <G>). What they will _not_ do is manage the ALI information for my PRI line(s) and DID numbers, except at installation and service-move time only. I personally don't blame them one bit for this position; if they can help me get set up for PS/ALI, that's the best solution for all concerned.