I got a call from our Cisco rep today saying that they couldn't sell just phones to anyone because if "my ethernet isn't to exact spec..." then they won't work at all. I've read over the Wiki documentation and it seems that the 79xx series phones work with Asterisk. They told me that without a Cisco phone system in place or a Cisco router or switch, then the ethernet wouldn't work with the phones. Is this true, or is it someone just trying to sell me a Cisco system?

I don't see how my use of a Planet or Netgear switch would alter the spec of my ethernet to cause a IP phone to fail. Seems far fetched to me. I've never had any other problems mixing Cisco equipment with other product lines.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience to give me dealing with Cisco 7902G and 7905G IP phones and getting them to work on a lan with Asterisk when *not* using other Cisco hardware?

Cheers,

Shawn