[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On 20 Sep 2004 at 12:38, Andreas Sikkema wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Initially we recorded using 16 bit/8K sampling on the basis that this is what is required by Asterisk but that was really terrible. So we're sampling at higher rates on
the basis that we can use sox to change it as necessary. Any
thoughts on what we can do to make the recordings sound "sharper"?

We've found that downbsampling with sox resulted in significantly lower quality files as those downsampled with Cool Edit.

Dithering in Cool Edit maybe?

Matt Riddell

sox offers several ways to change sampling rates. The poorest one is really quite poor. The best should not be distinguishable from any other good converter over a telecphone line. Dithering is completely irrelevant for telephony. It too LoFi to notice. :-)

Regards,
Steve