Richard wrote:
The default user name and password is a huge issue in some cases. For
example, hackers can get into the server, grab the configuration, program
their own phone and make free calls. Another example, if you have multiple
domains, then you want different username/passwd for each domain.

I can understand this, although I would like to think that good network design could prevent you from opening up your ftp (unencrypted!) server to the internet at large (using a firewall, etc.).

Any way you look at it, there is still the chicken and the egg issue that I pointed out earlier. You cannot use the configuration file to specify a custom username and password until you get the configuration file in the first place!

This is why the Cisco and Polycom's use CDP for VLAN configuration - you can set the VLAN BEFORE the DHCP request is made - to make sure that you get to the proper network (and DHCP server) in the first place.

The only way that I see your problem working is if Polycom adds the option to set username and password via custom DHCP options to the firmware. That way you would have the username and password BEFORE you needed to login to the FTP server. Maybe an idea for them?

--
Kristian Kielhofner