Hi Peter,

Ah yes - I get you now - sorry for misunderstanding and I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I have a couple of budgetones and a Cisco 7940. I do have a few FXS cards so I'll have to put one in the * server and see if there is no echo when I talk to someone on a remote POTS line - I'd say the "echo" will be gone. For sure the echo I get is quick (and it could easily be 1/10th of a second which is about the time that you are suggesting). I'll also have to play with the capi.conf echo options and see if I can remove the echo that way.

Thanks,

Derek

Peter Svensson wrote:

What do you have in your end was what I meant. What do you talk in? An
isdn phone? A pots phone? Those are really the only two options where you
do not have an added delay (actually, the zaptel cards add 1ms delay if
the call is cross-connected between cards). If you use a voip technology
phone such as a softphone or a hard ip phone you will have at an absolute
minimum an additional 40ms round trip time, but more realisitcally twice that at least. That moves the echo from the sidetone to actually being perceived as an echo.

Peter

Derek Conniffe Rivertower Ltd DDI: (Local Ireland) 01 201 0146 (International) +353 1 201 0146 Mobile: (Local Ireland) 086 856 3823 (International) +353 86 856 3823 Main Line: (Local Ireland) 1890 45 70 74 (International) +353 1 201 0180 Fax: (Local Ireland) 01 201 0085 (International) +353 1 201 0085 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: www.rivertowerhosting.com