For those of us that aren't (and will probably never be) linux performance
experts, would it be possible for those with at least some knowledge to
post some basic how-to's that have proven to helpful in the * environment?

If it makes sense to others, I'd volunteer to accept on-list or off-list
emails, consolidate them, and enter them in the wiki (or even post them
on another site if needed) for the benefit of all. Sure seems to be a
need for this. Direct email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you'd like.

Rich