Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
On May 7, 2005 05:16 am, Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:

Watch the console and be amazed when _. matches extension "h", which is
called when the far side of the call hangs up.  You get two calls to the
same number by only dialing once!  Stop being lazy and at least use _X.
as your pattern.

I'd suggest stopping being even that lazy and making some realistic matching extensions. I have

NXXXXXX for my 7-digit local
1NXXNXXXXXX for my 10-digit LD
0NXXNXXXXXX for operator-assisted LD
011. for international

I have never understood why people are so goddamned lazy that they can't write out a few exten matches... but nooooooooooooo they want to over-optimize and use _. or even _X.

If you want to match phone extensions then match 2XX or 2XXX or whatever your pattern happens to be. It's almost NEVER necessary to use such broad matches as _. and _X.

In much of the world the PSTN dialplan is not that simple. Yes, a more specific dialplan than my _X. exmaple is a good idea, but the USA has a VERY simple PSTN dialplan and is NOT like most of the world.