On Jan 4, 2008, at 10:14 PM, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have been net5501 testing with Darrick's latest builds for the
>> "asterisk-beta" branch.
>> http://www.djhsolutions.com/astlinux/
>>
>> With all the changes (runnix, unionfs, asterisk 1.4) things work
>> amazingly well... of course there are some problems.
>>
>> In particular openntpd.  This is what I have found.
>>
>> 1) The time is set properly at startup... perfectly.
>>
>> 2) Both the client and server processes are running and also show in
>> netstat -a.
>>
>> 3) Over a period of 24 hours, using "date", my clock looses about 10
>> seconds, but #2 above is still true.
>>
>> 4) As a test, I killed the ntpd processes, my local clock continues
>> to loose 10 sec per 24 hours.
>>
>> It is almost like Openntpd is working (ie. not exiting) but not
>> adjusting the local clock.
>> Anyone else notice this on a net5501?
>>
>> Lonnie
>
> I'm trying to debug this problem...

More hair pulling...

The normal /etc/init.d/ntpd contains:

ntpd -s

If I replace that with (thank you unionfs)

rdate -s clock.psu.edu
ntpd -S

Then 'date' is updated properly.

In the openntpd source (ntpd.c) by *not* calling
void
ntpd_settime(double d)

Things work.  I don't understand it, but just my observations.