Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>> I cleaned up the NTP code a bit...  Note that the $NTPSERV variable is
>> now deprecated in /etc/rc.conf...  Use $NTPSERVS instead.
>>
>> Also, the "NTPBROADCAST=yes" setting actually does something now.
>>
>> Enjoy.
>>

> Nice work Philip, but I have a couple comments...
>
> 1) Since $NTPSERVS is relatively new, and your trunk code changes
> makes $NTPSERV and $NTPSERVS act the same, why not deprecate
> $NTPSERVS, and let the old-timer $NTPSERV be the preferred variable?
>
> 2) Should the openntpd package be removed to eliminate any multiple
> ntpd.init confusion?  The u-del ntp seems to work quite well.
>
> Lonnie

Well, in other places, variables have plural names and take
space-separated values.  NTPSERV was the exception, so I felt it was
easier to make it follow the rule.

If you have NTPSERV set but not NTPSERVS, then it will copy the value
from NTPSERV but generate a warning on the console to remind you to
change it (and continue to work anyway).

I'd prefer to stick with the UDel ntp (I'm one of the contributors).

Hopefully someone can make changes to the GUI to keep up with the
scripting changes...  Any takers?

-Philip