Some time back, I attempted to use the image file for the geni586 version and failed. I sent Darrick, off list, what I had done so I wouldn't clog the list if only I had done something dumb, but he has been swamped with real money work so hasn't responded. I was able to do the two step install on the same machine with the same CF card successfully, so it is either isolated to the procedure I used or something peculiar to the HP thin clients. ( I tried it on at least two different models ) I can repost the message to the list or to anyone who is more knowledgeable if they want to see it. Since others seem to have been successful, perhaps their procedure would be useful as well. As long as the option to install using the two step process is available, it really isn't critical here though.

John Novack

Darrick Hartman wrote:
David Kerr wrote:
Yes, but the question is why Darrick moved the runnix images to his "obsolete" directory when they are not obsolete. I agree with Mark that they should still be more readily available/visible as you cannot always rely on the combined runnix/astlinux images that Darrick has. Specifically, I was unable to create my VMWare virtual appliance from his generic 586 image... I had to start from the runnix image, then add on the generic 586 image into the virtual hard drive that I created. I have no idea why it did not work from the combined image, it just didn't.

David,

I've used the iso image in a virtual machine, but have not attempted to create a vmware image using the astlinux--.img.gz files.

Any files hosted on my website are as a courtesy. Kristian should be uploading files to the sourceforge website. I really don't want to maintain the repository on my server indefinitely.

In most cases, the img.gz files should 'just work'. The idea is you would use one of these files the first time you install Astlinux, then future upgrades would only involve copying files into the 'os' directory (or some automated method).

I've been extremely swamped the last 2-3 weeks. I'm assuming Kristian is equally as busy since there are messages he still needs to reply to from me regarding getting the images on the source forge site. In my mind, the original runnix.img files that I moved to 'obsolete' are obsolete because of the way I created them and because the astlinux-xx.img.gz files _should_ be easier to use and more complete (dd if of ... boot, create partition, reboot, run genunion, use astlinux) compared to the prior method which involved many more steps. I left them on the site because I didn't want people to complain if I would have deleted them (which is what I had intended to do).

Darrick