Darrick

please see comments below

>> /oldroot/mnt/ does not exist on my system.  Are you suggesting that I
>> should create /oldroot/mnt/asturw/etc/modprobe.conf?  What is the best
>> practice way of adding to modprobe.conf.
>
> If /oldroot/mnt does not exist on your file system, then something is
> very wrong.  You're either not using unionfs or something stranger than
> that.
>
> What do you see when you issue the 'mount' command?

pbx ~ # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /oldroot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /oldroot/cdrom type vfat
(ro,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1)
none on / type tmpfs (ro)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
none on /var type tmpfs (rw)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/kd type ext2 (rw,noatime)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
pbx ~ # pbx ~ #

> none on / type unionfs
> (rw,dirs=/oldroot/mnt/asturw=rw:/oldroot/mnt/asturo=ro)

Looks like I am not using unionfs.  Should I be ?
If so how do I enable it.

Thanks
Mart