From: David Kerr [mailto:da...@kerr.net]
Sent: 27 May 2010 14:28
To: tom.chad...@nnpa.org.uk; AstLinux Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] Faxing

The answer is "it depends."  I have had success with a fax machine connected
to a linksys PAP2T ATA and routing through vitelity as the SIP trunk
provider (with Astlinux in-between).  I have had complete failure with an
older Linksys/Sipura SPA-2002 and the same SIP trunk.

I have both a PAP2T and SPA-2002 connected to my system and the audio
quality is noticeably better on the PAP2T.  In particular there is a lot of
background hiss from the SPA-2002 that is not present on the PAP2T.  That
may also suggest that the dynamic range of the SPA-2002 is not as strong as
the PAP2T.  Both the background hiss and a compressed dynamic range would
explain why analog fax does not work well.

In addition to good A to D conversion, which the PAP2T seems to handle well,
you then have to deal with the characteristics of SIP/VoIP.  You may have to
fiddle with settings like jitter buffer and echo cancelling and you want a
high quality trunk provider.

Good luck.

David

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Tom Chadwin