Hi Tom

Looks like the berofix supports the T.38 fax protocol, it would be worth
investigating ATA T.38 support, I'm no expert but maybe worth investigating
more(I know g729 doesn't like to play, and even with the higher bit rate
codecs, you can have mixed results :-(  )

URL's worth a read
http://shop.a-enterprise.ch/manuals/Berofix-technical-data.pdf
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+fax

Regards Guy