From: John Novack [mailto:jnov...@stromberg-carlson.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:46 PM
To: tom.chad...@nnpa.org.uk; AstLinux Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] OT: Transfers (Asterisk or Snom or anything
that will simply work, please oh please)

Dog is my Co-pilot

Tom Chadwin wrote:
> Hello all
>
> If I can crave a moment off-topic, I'd love finally to understand whether
> can implement a transfer solution using the Snom expansion module as a
BLF.
> I have gone round and round in circles trying to get the behaviour I need,
> and am also being driven mad by voip-info.org being so out of date.
>
> Our reception have a Snom 320 with one expansion module. I have set up
> Asterisk hints to get the LEDs to monitor extension states. My problem is
> that I seem totally unable to stop Asterisk from so rigidly
differentiating
> between blind and attended transfers. Our existing Avaya has no such
> distinction, and I really need to recreate its approach, or I will have
> hell's own job gaining acceptance for the new system.

I have been horrified by this, and complained for years about this behavior.
the original designers seemed to have very little real telephony
background, and certain misbehaviors were built into the system, and no
one with the skills seems either interested in correcting or believes
the way Asterisk handles transfers is "better"
Most/all REAL telephone systems work the way the Avaya does, and doesn't
require the user to plan their transfer in advance
this behavior is going to be a problem with any telephone, so if that is
a killer, then you will need to stay away from asterisk, or be prepared
to seriously modify the code. Then convince the powers that be that
transfers need to really work that way
There should have only ever been ONE transfer function.

There is NO good news here.

I also battle windmills in my spare time

John Novack