Lonnie:

Can you please make the following change?

Either the 4th field of APx in /etc/rc.conf needs to go away (it's
redundant), or else we should take the numeric part of that arg, i.e.
${BRIDGE:2} in /etc/init.d/hostapd and make sure that the corresponding
${BRIDGEnn} variable does indeed include the matching "apX" value...

I think making the 4th field go away would be the simplest.

BTW:  how many people use Wifi that would need to modify their configs
when upgrading?

Thanks.