Not exactly....  the printer will take its configured name, and
multicast that out as the available service... but the name still needs
to be resolvable if the SRV record maps back to a name for the
right-hand side.

I'd use Tcpdump to log the advertisements...  Then I'd use ping to make
sure that the name that appears on the right-hand side of the SRV
records is resolvable and pingable.

Is the laser printer getting its address via DHCP?

Can you ping that name associated with it?

The router really doesn't make much difference in this case, if the host
that's contacting the printer is connected to the same switch as the
printer itself...  none of the packets involved in the host <=> printer
conversation go through the router.

The only conversation between the printer and the router is that of DHCP.

(Actually, there is a conversation between the host and the router when
the host looks up the printer's IP address.)

Jump on #astlinux on freenode and I'll help you troubleshoot this, but
I'd try this:

# grep -i <printer> /tmp/etc/dnsmasq.*
# grep -i <printer> /var/log/messages
# ping <printer>