From: Dan Ryson [mailto:d...@ryson.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:12 PM
To: astlinux-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Astlinux-users] Multi-home AstLinux?

  Thanks Philip.

Regardless of what it should be called, what we need is fail-over
diversity.  For our purposes, we hope to avoid having two circuits from
the same provider because when our cable modem stops working, cable
Internet service also quits working at neighboring businesses in our
complex.  We've found the same to be true for our DSL line.  However,
they've never (knock wood) failed at the same time.

Dan

On 9/22/2010 3:42 PM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>    Technically, "multi-homed" is exactly that: having more than one IP
address.

> Doing hot-failover with no loss of connectivity is a lot easier to do with
two circuits of the same kind (or at least through the same provider,
terminating into the same peering gateway).