Hi Shamus,

We need to understand what is going on in more detail.  The RUNNIX changes from
0.7.7 to 0.7.8 is very minor and should not effect booting at all, and both are
using the same version of syslinux to perform the initial boot.  I don't think
it is RUNNIX.

Are you using a video or serial console?  What is exact text where it hangs
(with some context), that is very helpful.

What is the Jetway model number of your board and any specific info.

Yes, the VIA C7 image has R8169 drivers, but are not enabled in /etc/rc.modules
by default as you stated.

1) Now that you have an extra CF card laying around :-), next try the 1.0-beta
beta images, but use the "Generic i586" (or Generic i586 Serial Console) image,
not the C7.  Choose your favorite Asterisk version.

Asterisk 1.4.42
http://www.astlinux.org/release/10-svn-5224-asterisk-1442

Asterisk 1.8.7.1
http://www.astlinux.org/release/10-svn-5224-asterisk-1871

Please report your results.

2) Instead of installing the viac7 image of 0.7.10, you could install the
geni586 image of 0.7.10 which has the r8169 driver enabled by default.

3) Finally, even with the NIC not enabled, you can still setup persistent
storage via the console while using the viac7 image.
--
$ initial-setup status
ok-format /dev/hda

$ initial-setup format combined /dev/hda  (or for a separate partition: format
separate /dev/hda 128)

$ reboot

$ initial-setup configure /dev/hda

$ reboot
--
now you can edit the /etc/rc.modules file and enable r8169 .

Lonnie