I wonder ( with no Mac experience ) if THAT might be the issue.

What I do with my thin client SBC installs is simply to boot the board with a
thumb drive with DSL ( Damn Small Linux ) installed on it, and a late version
of the AstLinux image. then I first clear the CF card partition ( may not even
be necessary ) then use dd to install the image, do a reboot, removing the
thumb drive, and continue the process outlined in the instructions.
Of course, if your Ethernet port isn't working . . .

using this method I can determine if the system will boot

I have had few if any issues with CF cards up to 2 Gig

I now use the Transcend units that plug directly into the headers on HP and
some other thin clients, a lower cost solution than a CF card adapter and CF
card, though it doesn't provide the ability to change a flash card quickly

John Novack

Shamus Rask wrote:
I was able to go and purchase a different 4GB CF card yesterday and tried
again--same result. This got me thinking that maybe my motherboard was having
some sort of other issue with the current release. I downloaded AstLinux 0.7.7
(prior to current RUNNIX release) and tried again... this time, success! I
think the culprit is RUNNIX, but have no way to be certain at this point.

That being said, I've run into a new problem. My motherboard uses a RealTek
chip for the GigE ports (Jetway mini-ITX board based on VIA C7). Using the VIA
C7 image, the Ethernet ports are not initialized. Logging in from the CLI, I
see that R8169 is commented out in /etc/rc.modules, but when I try to uncomment
I get an error saying the file is read-only.

Two questions:
1. Are the R8169 drivers included in the VIA C7 image?
2. If so, how do I got about modifying files so that the correct drivers are
modprobed?

many thanks,
   Shamus

>Shamus,
>
>Yes, the file structure looks good.  The .Trashes and .Spotlight-V100
files>/dirs cause no harm.

>Time to try a new CF card.
>
>Lonnie

Dog is my Co-pilot