No single security package is ever going to be perfect for everything. In order to obtain an optimum level of protection, one should always use multiple avenues of security. For example, to help mitigate INVITE attacks, I actually ban them directly via my Asterisk dialplan. In the past 56 days, it's blocked 190 IPs. One of the most important things anyone can do is ensure that their system is as secure and locked down as possible. The vast majority of VoIP related attacks are simple drive-by brute force ones. With so many open and easily compromised systems out there, unless an attacker is specifically targeting you, basic 'best practices' (ie: complex secrets, locking down remote access, limiting unnecessary international destinations, etc.) will stop almost all of them.

According to that URL you gave, it looks like Digium has put in a fix in version 11 to help tools like fail2ban block these attacks as well.

--James