No harm in the PHP scripts, this just allows control at a higher level.

The bigger problem we had to address was the fact that starting in PHP 5.3 the
code to retrieve the system timezone value was being removed, totally removed
in 5.4+ .  So the only general solution for us is to dynamically create the
php.ini file with the proper date.timezone value.

Lonnie