Hi David, (comments inline)

On Feb 6, 2016, at 1:28 PM, David Kerr <da...@kerr.net> wrote:

> Thanks Lonnie,  my tests are returning success and I'm beginning to figure
> things out.  Discovered that VMware Fusion supports IPv6 only for bridged
> connections, not NAT, which is fine by me.

Yes, this makes sense, behind NAT you have a different network, since IPv6 is
routed a valid /64 prefix from your /60 (Prefix Delegation) would be required.
AstLinux does not act as a Prefix Delegation server (as your ISP does) so any
additional networks connected downstream from your LAN networks (physical or
virtual) would require manually setting IPv6 prefixes from your /60 pool and an
added IPv6 route on your AstLinux box to find that prefix.

> Interestingly if I "ping google.com" from the AstLinux box it is routed to
> google's IPv6 address, but if I ping from an inside client than it is routed
> to the IPv4 address -- then I discovered the "ping6" command which does force
> IPv6 and it worked.
>
> Xfinity's speedtest was interesting too.  Shows that IPv6 is slightly slower
> than IPv4.  Possibly because of larger packet headers?

Possibly, there may be other reasons as well.  Nothing to worry about.  My IPv6
was noted as faster and I use a IPv4 tunnel ! go figure...

http://results.speedtest.xfinity.com/result/1205871944.png

http://results.speedtest.xfinity.com/result/1205876104.png

(the distance is puzzling unless it is the fiber distance)

BTW, I pay for a 50/10 Mbps connection.

> I do think it would be helpful to see the assigned IPv6 address on the web
> interface status page both the EXTIF and the network part (first 64 bits) of
> the INTIF.  Its interesting that the network part of EXTIF
> (2001:aaaa:bbbb:cccc) is not the same as the network part of INTIF
> (2601:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz) for some reason I thought they would be the same.

No they would not be the same, your EXTIF and INTIF are on different IPv6
networks.  Just as EXTIF and INTIF are on different IPv4 networks.

Getting this NAT'ed vs. routed in your head does take some time. :-)

> Now, how should IPv6 work on my internal network?  Specifically DNS.
> If I "ping Davids-iPad" then it works (DHCP assigned IPv4 address, name set
> on my iPad).
> But if I "ping6 Davids-iPad" then...
> ping6: getaddrinfo -- nodename nor servname provided, or not known
> But if I "ping6 2601:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz:oh you get the idea" (address found from
> test-ip6.com)
> Then it works.

DNS has 'A' records for IPv4 addresses and 'AAAA' records for IPv6 addresses.
DNS lookups over IPv4 can be used to retrieve IPv6 addresses.

"ping6 foo" says do a DNS lookup for a AAAA record for "foo" before doing the
ping.

The Network -> DNS Hosts sub-tab does support IPv6 addresses.

> So how do I make my IPv6 addresses discoverable by DNS?  Some more reading to
> do I think.
>
> Thanks
> David

Lonnie